Support for the Direct2Drive version of the game was introduced, as well as a minimalist version of the user interface. Version 3220, released on March 5, 2007, notably removed the SecuROM disk checking from the game. This enables the player to run the game without the game DVD in the DVD drive. 4- individual and family services (+18,000). Employment in health care and social assistance is down by 909,000 over the year. Retail trade added 41,000 jobs in February. Job growth was widespread in the industry, with the large. Prey is a first-person shooter with the player in control of the protagonist Tommy as he explores the gigantic extraterrestrial craft Sphere and fights its inhabitants aboard. During the game, the player will collect a number of alien weapons, some comparable to typical first-person shooter archetypes, others more alien in behavior. Native American actor, Rodney Arnold Grant was born the 9th of March, 1959. After his biological parents abandoned him, his grandparents raised him from 6 months of age, up until 1982. Rodney has five adult children: three daughters from his ex-wife, all of which were raised by their mother,. The installer on the retail version of the game does not function correctly on modern operating systems (Windows 7 and later). See Installing the CD/DVD version for a solution or install the free version.
'Microsoft excludes Windows Media Center from Windows 10. Accordingly, it lacks a native DVD playback capability. How to play DVDs on Windows 10 now? Please advise some free DVD players for Windows 10. '
The demand for playing physical discs is still there. Since Microsoft doesn't support Windows Media Center in Windows 10, many users began to wonder 'How to watch DVD on Windows 10?'
Frankly, Microsoft suggests downloading a DVD Player in Windows 10, at a price of $15. However, many users complain that the paid one can't decode DVD sometimes, manifesting issues such as disc drive won't read DVD or is making noise, region error message when playing a UK DVD, or choppy playback. Is there any functional and free DVD player software compatible with Win10 32bit/64bit? This post is here at your disposal.
Best 10 DVD Players for Windows 10 Overview:
How to Play DVDs on Windows 10 [Full Options]
1. Install plug-ins or add-ons such as CinePlayer DVD Decoder, Advanced Corel DVD Decoders, and K-Lite Codec Pack, in such a way WMP should be able to play DVDs on the latest OS.
2. Convert DVD to WMP supported formats. With a DVD ripper for Win10 ( Windows version or macOS version), you can convert new, encrypted, 1-6 region-coded, burned DVDs to H.264, HEVC, WMV, AVI, MP4, any formats for Windows Media Player 12.
3. The easiest: Try another free DVD player for Windows 10 instead of WMP. Scroll down to find the best software.
Top 10 BEST Free DVD Players for Windows 10 [Review]
Which is the best free DVD player software for Windows 10? Based on user feedback, the following candidates are singled out based on their OS compatibility, media playing capability, interface design, downloads on CNET, Softonic or other third-party software download sites, as well as user reviews. Read the following reviews and find the best software to play DVDs on Win10 for free.
Average User Rating: ★★★★☆ (based on 493 votes)
5KPlayer is a widely acclaimed free media player capable of playing DVDs on Windows 10 (64 bit & 32 bit), 8.1, 8, 7, etc. Since released, it is quickly adopted by users around the world, always being one of the top 10 downloads of Multimedia for Windows in Softonic.
With this tool, Windows users can play any regular DVDs and also commercially copy-protected and region code locked DVDs, DVD folders and ISO files with one-button operation without any DVD codec installed on Windows 10. 5KPlayer coming with a modern design enables users to master its features, functions and operation skills in a little while.
Extra features provided by 5KPlayer:
- Play videos music in all popular formats like MP4, AVI, MKV, HEVC, MOV, WMV, MP3, FLAC, AAC, WMA, WAV, etc;
- Free download videos/movies/music from YouTube, and other 1000+ online video sites;
- Stream videos audios for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc;
- Convert videos to MP3, AAC, MP4 for free.
'5KPlayer can be the free Windows 10 DVD player which is capable of playing encrypted DVD and DVD of any region without third party help.'
Tips: If you want to play DVD on Windows 10 mobile, iPhone, iPad, Android ...
Simply make use of WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to rip your DVD to digital files and save them to computer hard drive. This tool supports both home-made DVDs and copy-protected movie DVDs, workout DVDs and more, and can convert them to high-quality MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, and other popular formats to fit for computers, smartphones, tablets, game consoles, etc.
2. VLC Media Player
Average User Rating: ★★★★ (based on 451 votes)
Undoubtedly, VLC Media Player is the most famous one among these DVD players for Windows 10. It supports a wide range of Windows operating systems and already has a basic Win10 support. As powerful as 5KPlayer, it is able to play DVD discs, DVD folders as well as ISO files. You can set it to automatically play a DVD when it is inserted by choosing the 'Play DVD movie VideoLAN VLC media player' option. However, we also find that VLC ends up with many DVD playback errors on Windows 10/8/7 are posted on the internet
Other features offered by VLC:
- Play videos audios in mainstream file formats on other platforms (Mac OS X, Linux, Unix...);
- In addition to playing DVD, it can also play CD/VCD/SVCD;
- Perform media conversion and streaming.
3. Windows DVD Player
Average User Rating: ★★★☆ (based on 712 votes)
To play DVDs on Windows 10, why not trying Windows' official app - Windows DVD Player. It can read any DVD disc that is in DVD-Video format. It's no problem to play a protected store-purchased DVD or a user-made disc. But the Blu-ray discs are out of luck. If you upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8 with Windows Media Center, you can download Windows DVD Player from Windows Store for free. However, it's not free for those who have got a new PC. They need to buy it in Microsoft Store for $14.99. It offers a 7-day free trial which won't let you play any DVD, instead, it's used to check if your system is compatible. According to what users said, they are apparently not satisfied spending $15 for a DVD player that should be simple and free.
The DVD player for Windows 10 will play:
- Commercial and homemade DVDs
- Videos in AVI, MPG, M1V, MP2V, MP3,MPEG, DVR-MS, MPE, WMV, MPV2, WM, MP2, ASFEVC/H.265 (.mkv), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv), Matroska Video (.mkv), 4K Video
4. DVD Player - FREE
Average User Rating: ★★★☆ (based on 406 votes)
DVD Player - FREE may be unfamiliar to most of us. Judging from its name, we can guess that it is free DVD playback software. DVD Player - FREE is available to play DVDs and also popular videos on Windows 10. Besides playing DVD discs, it can also open DVD folders and DVD ISO files.
It also enables you to:
- Play VCD, Blu-ray;
- Play video media files like mp4, .wmv, .mkv, .m4v, .mov, .avi, .mpg, .mpeg, .mts, .m2ts, .ts;
- Select desired video tracks, sound tracks, subtitles;
- Select external subtitle
Average User Rating: ★★★★☆ (based on 32 votes)
MPC-HC (Media Player Classic Home Cinema) is a solution to troubleshoot Windows Video Player not playing DVD error for it provides the ability to play DVDs with menus, chapter navigation, and subtitle. The windows 10 DVD playing freeware is very good at playing old VHS tapes, DVDs and Blu rays. It includes native playback of dozens of formats, with embedded video decoder for x.264, H.264, VC-1 for better playback experience. Unfortunately, MPC-HC 1.7.13 is the final version and there is no update as of July 16, 2017. But you can still download it.
What you may like about MPC-HC:
- Lightweight and free, available for Windows 10 and earlier
- Support a wide range of formats like WMV, AVI, MP4, MOV, QT, MPEG, VOB, SWF, etc., along with GPU decoding.
Average User Rating: ★★★★ (based on 271,227 votes)
Kodi® media center (previously XBMC™ Media Center) is a free and open-source app that is used to manage your local digital media. You can free download it in the Microsoft Store. The app has been used by millions of users worldwide across systems, including Windows 10. It's a media center, but it also works as a free media player which will play DVDs, Blu-rays, and audio CDs. It's also region-free DVD software as you can set the DVD player region free, and also the auto playback, play mode, etc. In addition, you can also play music, radio, and TV shows.
What you may like about Kodi:
- It works on a number of devices including Windows (10), Android, iOS, Mac, Amazon, etc.
- You can install thousands of Kodi add-ons to get access to sports events, shows, movies, etc.
7. GOM Media Player
Average User Rating: ★★★★ (based on 358 votes)
Another option to play DVD on Windows 10 for free: try the free DVD player software for Windows 10 - GOM Media Player. It has a wide range of embedded codecs, including Vorbis, FLAC, ADPCM, XVID, MP41, MP42, MP43, H263, H264, H265, etc. This allows you to play AVI, MP4, MOV, MKV, WMV, audio CD, DVD, Video CD, SVCD, etc. But if you want to play some other 4K content, you need to upgrade to the Plus version at $25.
More features of GOM Media Player:
- It offers VR and 360° video playback.
- It has an extensive subtitle database.
- It's able to play damaged and corrupted videos
Average User Rating: ★★★★ (based on 688 votes)
KMPlayer is another good view player compatible with Windows 7/8/10 or earlier operating systems in 32 bit and 64 bit. It will let you watch DVDs, CD, VCD, and most common media file types in high quality without additional codecs. You can also play Blu-ray discs with it. More than that, the newer versions support high resolutions such as 4K, 8K, 60FPS, and UHD on high-end PCs with smooth playback and high quality.
The Windows 10 DVD player supports:
- Support 3G2, 3GP, AVI, FLV, MKV, MOV, MPEG, MP3, MP4, OGM, RM, TS, WEBM, and WMV, etc.
- Support subtitles in SMI, ASS, SRT, PSB, S2K, SUB, TXT and LRC formats.
Average User Rating: ★★★★ (based on 349 votes)
PotPlayer is a good alternative as a free Windows 10 DVD player. It supports video, audio, DVDs, and Blu-rays, among other formats. In fact, you can add the OpenCodec plugin to let it play whatever codecs you need. The best part is it applies hardware acceleration using DXVA, CUDA, QuickSync to offer the best playback and minimum CPU usage.
You may like:
- Full 3D glasses support with various output formats – Side by Side, Top and Bottom, Page Flipping.
- Text subtitles (SMI & SRT), DVD (Vobsub) and Blu-ray subtitles, ASS/SSA animation and SMI Ruby tags, etc. are supported.
Average User Rating: ★★★ (based on 42 votes)
If you really care about the experience of DVD playback on Windows 10, try PowerDVD. This player comes with many advanced features. For example, it offers free option to not only play Blu-ray & DVD, but also support audio, MKV, H.264, 3D, 4K, VR 360˚ content, YouTube or Vimeo, and videos in most formats and codecs. PowerDVD is updated with Ultra HD 4K, HDR & now 8K as well as audio in Dolby and DTS, so you can enjoy the superior video and audio quality. But it's hard to pay for a media player with the lowest price of $59.99.
Other best features of the free DVD player for windows 10:
- True full screen for Blu-ray disc playback
- TrueTheater HDR & GPU support for HDR video playback
- It will switch between different region codes (check other region-free DVD players)
Q1. Does Windows 10 have a DVD player?
Windows 10 doesn't have a default DVD player. If you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8 with Windows Media Center, a free copy of Windows DVD Player will be automatically downloaded through Windows Update. If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8 's Media Center version, but run a Windows 10 clean install, you will not be able to get Windows DVD Player for free. And, new PC users are also out of luck for this freebie. They have to go to Microsoft Store and pay it for $14.99.
Q2. How can I watch DVD on Windows 10?
You can download Windows DVD Player or other Windows 10 compatible DVD players we listed above to play DVD.
Q3. What is the best DVD player for Windows 10?
We have listed the best 10 free DVD players for Windows 10, such as 5KPlayer and VLC. Read the details above and choose one you like.
Q4. Why can't I play DVDs on Windows 10?
- You don't have an option to play DVD. You need to install a DVD player first.
- Your DVD drive's driver might be not up to date.
For more details, check: [Solved] DVD Won't Play on Windows 10? Tips Arrive Here!
Q5. Why does my DVD not play on Windows Media Player?
Possible reasons include:
- A compatible DVD decoder isn't installed on your computer.
- The disc is dirty or damaged.
- Some suspicious software is installed and ruins WMP performance.
For more reasons and fixes, check: [Solved] Windows Media Player Not Playing DVD on Windows 7/8/10
So above are our picks for the top 10 best DVD player for Windows 10 and our answers for the frequetly asked questions about DVD playback on Windows 10. Among these players, 5KPlayer and VLC are the most recommended programs. They are 100% free, clean, and powerful. Both homemade and commercial DVDs can be played on Windows 10 without issues. And, they have many bonus features. Other options are also great. Hope you can find a desired DVD player and get a good experience with Windows 10. Lastly, don't forget to share your choice or this article with your friends!
This page is for the 2005 game. For the unrelated 2019 game, see Area 51 (2019).
|Windows||June 8, 2005|
|Area 51 (2005)||2005|
|BlackSite: Area 51||2007|
- GameSpy online services have been shut down (see Network for solutions).
- This game is available as a free download.
|Retail||StarForce 3 DRM (removed in the latest patch).|
- The installer on the retail version of the game does not function correctly on modern operating systems (Windows 7 and later). See Installing the CD/DVD version for a solution or install the free version.
- This game was released as a free download sponsored by the US Air Force.
- It can be downloaded here. Install the latest patch to remove the online DRM.
Skip intro videos
- Install the latest patch(1.2) to remove copy protection and fix various issues.
- Latest patch for German and European is version 1.1, it can be found in the above link or here and here.
Configuration file(s) location
UserVConfig.inicontains player video settings.
UserInputConfig.inicontains player input settings.
LangConfig.inicontains the game language settings.
VConfig.inicontain default settings; these files do not need to be edited directly.
Save game data location
|Widescreen resolution||The game is Vert- by default. Use Area 51 HOR+ FOV fix.|
|Multi-monitor||Use Area 51 HOR+ FOV fix.|
|Ultra-widescreen||Use Area 51 HOR+ FOV fix.|
|4K Ultra HD||Use Area 51 HOR+ FOV fix. HUD elements and menu text are not scaled and are very small.|
|Field of view (FOV)||Default FOV is 60°. Use Area 51 HOR+ FOV fix.|
|Borderless fullscreen windowed||See Windowed.|
|Anisotropic filtering (AF)||Can be forced in the GPU control panel.|
|Anti-aliasing (AA)||Control panel hack causes glitches, see Anti-aliasing (AA).|
|Vertical sync (Vsync)||Enabled by default.|
|120+ FPS||At higher fps, jumping does not work correctly. See High frame rate breaks jump physics.|
|Set windowed in UserVConfig.ini|
- Game doesn't support AA natively and forcing it through GPU control panel causes white outlines around letters and some objects.
|Use any injector that has FXAA (like ReShade)|
|Turn on morphological filtering in the graphics card control panel(AMD)|
|Use Virtual/Dynamic Super Resolution|
|Keyboard and mouse||State||Notes|
|Mouse acceleration||Disabled by default.|
|Mouse input in menus|
|Mouse Y-axis inversion|
|Controller support||See the glossary page for potential workarounds.|
|Separate volume controls||Effects, music and speech.|
|Mute on focus lost|
|Online play||GameSpy servers have been shut down. To play online download Project Dreamland.|
Native 32 Game Dvd Player Downloads
Problem installing the CD/DVD version
- The installation process fails with the message 'The wizard was interrupted before Area 51(R) could be completely installed'.
|Start the installation manually using the command console|
'An internet connection is required to enjoy free, ad-supported game play' error
- The advertising servers for the free US Air Force version are no longer running.
|Install the latest patch|
Choppy cutscene playback
- FMV cutscenes play incorrectly in fullscreen mode on modern systems.
|Run the game in a borderless fullscreen window|
Broken textures and lighting
- On some systems lighting will be broken and all textures will be black. This is a DirectX 11 issue and can be solved with a DirectX 9 wrapper.
|Use WineD3D for Windows|
|Use DgVoodoo 2 for Windows|
High frame rate breaks jump physics
- FPS >50 causes inability to jump while moving up sloped surfaces. FPS >100 breaks jumping mechanic entirely..
- Jumping is not required for combat, and in most cases where jumping from one platform to another is required, there is an invisible scripted 'jump assist' that allows the player to jump across gaps, even though normal jumping is prevented by high frame rate.
|Video capture software such as FRAPS can be used to lower frame rate to 60 fps if jumping is required but there is not pre-scripted 'jump assist', such as the section in the 2nd level where you are required to jump over moving beams of electricity|
|Alternatively, because the game has permanent v-sync, if your monitor has a manual refresh rate toggle button, switching the refresh rate to 60 hz will also cause the frame rate to be locked at 60|
Native 32 Game Dvd Player Free
|Audio||Miles Sound System|
|Multiplayer||GameSpy||Servers have been shut down. To play online download Project Dreamland.|
|Operating system (OS)||2000, XP|
|Processor (CPU)||Intel 1.4 GHz|
AMD 1.2 GHz
|System memory (RAM)||256 MB|
|Hard disk drive (HDD)||3 GB|
|Video card (GPU)|| ATI Radeon 9500 |
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
- All GeForce MX series video cards are not supported by the game.
- ↑ 1.01.1When running this game without elevated privileges (Run as administrator option), write operations against a location below
%WINDIR%might be redirected to
%LOCALAPPDATA%VirtualStoreon Windows Vista and later (more details).
Native 32 Game Dvd Player
- ↑Game Bundle Download Sponsored by Air Force
- ↑ 2.02.12.2Verified by User:Garrett on 2014-07-25
- ↑ 3.03.13.2Verified by User:Antrad on September 1, 2017
- ↑Problems Installing Midway Games Area 51
- ↑Broken textures and lighting - last accessed on 2020-04-27
- ↑Broken textures and lighting - last accessed on 2020-08-8